Close

Questo sito utlizza cookie. Puņ leggere come li usiamo nella nostra Privacy Policy.


Users 7
Photos 2,322
Comments 19
Views 1,745,792
Disk Space 402.9mb

SunMon TueWed ThuFri Sat
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     

Belpaese 2074
Giorgimer 178
Giorgio 70

Ferrara_0412_185.jpg
La cattedrale e la s
Belpaese

[ Churches ]
Ferrara_0412_395.jpg
Certosa di Ferrara
Belpaese

[ Churches ]
dolceacqua_0610_060.jpg
Albenga, coffee time
Belpaese

[ Churches ]
Almenno_190611_006.jpg
Amazing romanesque
Belpaese

[ Churches ]
bobbio_220511_224.jpg
Almost casually
Belpaese

[ Churches ]
vercelli_300510_253.jpg
Ambition
Belpaese

[ Churches ]
· more ·


 
« more
estate_2007_4_035.jpg
sicilia_2007_1076.jpg
sicilia_2007_1185.jpg
bellagio_e_como_240710_005.jpg
piona_e_gravedona_190910_069.jpg
brunate_070309_009.jpg
firenze_0609_321.jpg
firenze_0609_480.jpg
estate_2010_046_panorama.jpg
capodanno_2011_155.jpg
estate_2008_306.jpg
estate_2008_310.jpg
dscf1472.jpg
estate_2007_6_006.jpg
cervo_a_primavera.jpg
apripano.jpg
p1010089.jpg
Estate_2010_322.jpg
estate_2010_317_tn.jpg
47340-773x600.jpg
dscf1490.jpg
· more »

« Previous image · Next image »

White masterpiece
White masterpiece

« Previous image  · Slide Show · Next image »

Belpaese



Registered: June 2011
Posts: 1,367
users gallery
Troia cathedral


Infos from sacred-destinations.com


Nestled in the historic center in a hilltop town in Puglia, Troia Cattedrale is worth seeking out. Begun in 1093, its extraordinary architecture combines Puglian Romanesque with strong Byzantine and Muslim influences.


The rose window on the western facade, made of a delicate stone screen pierced with geometrical designs, is especially exquisite. Other highlights are the medieval bronze doors and the quiet, genteel old town of Troia itself.


HistoryConstruction on Troia Cathedral began in 1093 on the foundations of an existing church dedicated to St. Mary. At that time it was situated on the Via Traiana that connected Benevento to Brindisi. The cathedral was consecrated in 1120.


In medieval times, Troia Cathedral was an important bridge between the Norman kingdoms of southern Italy and the pope. It hosted four church councils overseen by popes: in 1093 under Urban II; in 1115 under Paschal II; in 1120 under Callixtus II; and in 1127 under Honorius II.


What to SeeThe west facade of Troia Cathedral overlooks a small piazza in which locals gather to socialize. A magnificent Puglian rose window (dated 1160-80) dominates the upper half of the facade, filled with magnificent stone screens (transennae) of Islamic-inspired geometrical shapes. Arching around the window are carvings of human and animal figures. Typical Puglian lions keep watch on either side.


The lower west facade (built 1107-15) is decorated with tall blind arches, pierced by two small round windows and a central portal approached by stairs. The lintel over the west portal has a marble relief centered on an enthroned Christ, flanked by saints and the symbols of the Four Evangelists.


The bronze west doors were crafted in 1127 by Oderisio of Benevento. They are decorated with reliefs and inscriptions and have no less than ten knockers: eight lions and two wyverns.


The south side of the cathedral has more blind arches, above which are unique geometrical designs made of green- and cream-colored marble. Near the west end are a sun and crescent moon. The north exterior bears medallions of bas-relief animal figures, including a hare, a bird, and an Assyrian-looking lion with a man's head.


The interior of the cathedral has a Latin cross plan, with three aisles and a small transept. It is supported by 12 columns representing the Apostles, with a 13th column in the southwest corner representing Christ. The interior is lighter on interesting carvings than the exterior, but occasional human and animal faces can be discovered in some of the Corinthian-style capitals and at the bases of the columns near the front of the nave.


The large ambo on the north side of the nave dates from 1169 and was for a time transferred to the Church of St. Basil to make way for noble chapels. It returned to its original home in 1860. The western face bears a relief of a dog biting the back of a lion who is biting the neck of a lamb. According to the cathedral's literature, the dog symbolizes God, who is faithful and vigilant, preventing heresy and error (lion) from devouring the Church (lamb).
· Date: Tue July 5, 7. 2011 · Views: 743 · Filesize: 141.3kb · Dimensions: 800 x 579 ·
Quick Rate: Poor Excellent
Keywords: White masterpiece
Additional Categories: Troia
Send as e-Card
Print View



Photo Sharing Gallery by PhotoPost
Copyright © 2009 All Enthusiast, Inc.